Monday, December 20, 2010

The Start

On Thursday 18th November 2010, my whole life changed forever. I am a sixteen year old schoolgirl, whose peers would list boys and spots among their most pressing life worries. I am obsessed by fashion and cared way too much about what others think about me.

I was told I have cancer. Except the words they actually used first were its technical names: 'lymphoblastic lymphoma', which allowed my mind to sink into itself categorically as I tried to comprehend whether this was all some kind of sick joke, totally surreal or my new reality. Sadly, it was the last option.

Words were swimming around my mind: 'tumour', 'cancer'- it was all (it is all) so serious. So sudden. Such a shock.

I broke down, weeping. I still did not understand. And the only thing that really really upset me was that all my hair was going to fall out. I am a teenage girl after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment